March 17, 2015

Woman's Day!


As if we need a special day to be reminded that we are women!
As if we need a special day to remind all around us that we need to be respected!
A day which is celebrated like so many other days,
with pomp and show
with words which are 'politically correct'
with words which tell us we are empowered
How is the day any different from the 364 other days of the year
when we have the women degraded, mutilated,
sold and bought like cattle,
when even the decision of what to wear is made by another,
Another who I may not even know!
When words around us are enough to mar us for eternity
When the 'look' that we see in the eyes of the beholder shame us
When in actuality it should be the other way.
When all that the men around me want to do is 'protect' me
When all that the society wants me to do is 'be coy'
When all that the society demands is for me to 'toe the line'
Why? Why? Why?
Why does it have to be 'woman' every time who has to give in
Why does it have to be 'woman' every time who has to play coy
Why do I need to avert eyes
Why do I have to play ignoran

No comments:

Post a Comment