February 07, 2012

Love/ Hate relation with butterfly

Although it is one of the most beautiful glands in a human body, looks elegant like a butterfly, controls and supports every function in the body; from the smallest like the shine of your hair to the big (!!) issues like weight, I have had a strong love/ hate relation with it.

Growing up as a child, I had a strong metabolism and could gobble down any amount of food without any signs of weight gain; chocolates, chips, fruits, name anything and I could eat my heart's desire of it. Butterfly helped me stay thin in my growing years.

I had known about the butterfly causing great distress coz of family history of the same... what I did not realise was, that it would play a major role in my personal life too. As is generally the case, I came to know of having made a personal bond with the thyroid only after the weight I had gained as a would-be-mother refused to go away even after following a disciplined regime of diet and exercise...

I had all the symptoms but was not ready to face the butterfly's warning signs... I was loosing hair in bunches.. I was snappy.. had a short memory.. in short... name the symptom and I had it.

Time to wake up to reality.

It has been 4 years since I got to know of my eternal bond with the butterfly and after a few initial hiccups as are bound to happen in every relation, we both have settled into a rhythm wherein the usual up and downs are there but till the time I pay timely attention to the butterfly it doesn't get too upset!

Unlike many others who are friends with butterfly, I decided not to fight it but rather make it a daily part of my life coz let's face it, there is just no escaping from butterfly once it decides to be there.. so better make it a friend than a foe!

No comments:

Post a Comment